A 360-degree Stakeholder Feedback Assessment for leadership development is a process through which feedback is gathered from many different perspectives and shared with the leader and their manager. The feedback from the assessment is used to create a development plan with goals that are specifically tailored to the leader. These goals could include:
- preparing for the next level of leadership,
- determining leadership competencies that are strengths and those that are areas for development based on a range of perspectives and lenses,
- identifying strengths to leverage in order to manage areas for improvement and/or development, among others.
It offers an opportunity to give the leader feedback in a constructive and confidential manner. Honest feedback is needed to understand one’s own perceptions of how their behavior is interpreted and perceived by others and how it may be impacting effectiveness, relationships, and support and trust from peers or key partners.
The 360-degree Stakeholder Feedback Assessment is unique in that it provides an opportunity for feedback from different vantage points including managers, other leaders, direct and indirect reports, peers, key partners, and students at all levels, if appropriate. Unlike regular check-in meetings with a manager, this assessment allows for a deeper understanding of how working relationships may differ by rater category, as well as the leader’s role and responsibilities in the context of interactions with each group. The leader's manager is involved in the process from the beginning, continuing into development opportunities and future discussions.
The 360-degree Stakeholder Feedback Assessment helps leaders:
- Understand the Challenges, Competencies, and Behaviors deemed important for leadership roles at the University of Minnesota
- Identify the next steps in their leadership development and align those actions with the strategic needs of the college/unit.
- Increase self-awareness by understanding their strengths and development opportunities
- Determine where gaps exist between their intentions and others’ perceptions and develop strategies to better align them
- Create an opportunity for dialogue with their manager that may allow for a deeper understanding of development needs and planning for action
- The Leadership and Talent Development (LTD) consultant meets with the manager to review the process and expectations
- The manager discusses the proposed process with the leader
- The LTD Consultant meets with the leader and the manager together to discuss the process in detail including:
- Desired outcome
- Manager’s role in this process
- Planned timeline
- Rater selection
- Email templates
- The leader creates the rater roster and forwards to the manager for discussion and approval
- The manager reviews the roster, makes edits (if necessary), notifies the leader of any edits, and sends approval to the LTD Consultant
- The leader sends an email to the raters alerting them to the forthcoming assessment and notifies the LTD Consultant of any email errors
- The LTD Consultant forwards the rater roster to the assessment administrator
- The assessment is launched and remains open for approximately three weeks
- Midway through the assessment, the LTD Consultant checks response rates and contacts the leader if additional email reminders are needed to increase responses
- The assessment closes, results are calculated, the report is generated and quality checked
- The LTD Consultant meets with the leader to review the assessment results, discuss potential items to include on a development plan, and determine the structure of the upcoming meeting with the manager
- The LTD Consultant meets with the manager to review the assessment results, discuss potential items to include on a development plan, and determine the structure of the upcoming meeting with the leader
- The LTD Consultant, leader, and manager meet together to discuss the assessment results, create a development plan that aligns with the strategic priorities of the college/unit, and determine the role of the consultant moving forward.
For more information on the 360-degree Stakeholder Feedback Assessment process, contact [email protected]